Open source on the IBM i has come a long way since the days of Perl on the AS/400. Today, the "garden" of open source application development tools is diverse and thriving, thanks to an active community and the growing popularity of solutions like XMLSERVICE, Ruby/Rails, PHP, Python, Node.js, and Apache Tomcat. If you've wanted to explore any of these technologies, to see how open source might expand your application possibilities or your development skill set, Open Source Starter Guide for IBM i Developers is for you.
In this book, Pete Helgren, a veteran i and open source developer, provides a friendly, practical introduction to open source development options for IBM i programmers. Pete dispenses guidance to help developers get into open source in a well-informed way, as well as plenty of code examples to give readers a feel for working with the tools. Readers will take away a clear understanding of popular open source platforms and tools, how these tools fit in with IBM i app development, and how to start building applications with open source technologies.
ÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€ Ã¢â‚¬â„¢ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€ Ã¢â‚¬â„¢ÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚Â ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Å¡ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢ÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€ Ã¢â‚¬â„¢ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Å¡ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…Â¡ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¬ÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚Â¦ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¡ÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€ Ã¢â‚¬â„¢ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€ Ã¢â‚¬â„¢ÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¢ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Å¡ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€¦Ã‚Â¡ÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™Ãƒâ€ Ã¢â‚¬â„¢ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Å¡ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…Â¡ÃƒÆ’Ã†â€™ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…Â¡ÃƒÆ’Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â
Upon reading this book, you will:
- Understand how to install and use PASE and how it supports open source on IBM i
- Know how to use XMLSERVICE to enable communication between open source applications and the IBM i database
- Be familiar with object-oriented (OO) programming and how it applies to different open source solutions
- Know the basics of 6 popular open source technologies for IBM i: Ruby, Rails, PHP, Python, Node.js, and Apache Tomcat
- Know the resources available to help you further explore open source development
Pete Helgren is a Java/Web developer at Bible Study Fellowship International. Pete is an experienced programmer in the ILE RPG, PHP, Java, Ruby/Rails, C++, and C# languages with over 25 years of experience. He spent six years nurturing the IBM i community on the COMMON Board of Directors and actively blogs at petesworkshop.com.
||May 31, 2017
||7 x 0.5 x 9 inches